 |
Chapel of Santa CruzIllustrative picture of the product Chapel of Santa CruzChapel Santa Cruz, OranAttaching Diocese of OranStart of Construction 1850GeographyCountry AlgeriaCity OranContact35 ° 42 '35 "North0 ° 39 '48 "West
The chapel of Santa Cruz is a Oran chapel, built on Aïdour below the fort of Santa Cruz, which means Holy Cross. It reports to the diocese of Oran.HistoryExposing
a small chapel a statue of the Virgin Mary was built in 1850, after the
terrible cholera epidemic of 1849, which had hundreds of victims a day.
It is dedicated to Our Lady of Hi. It was rebuilt in 1851, following the collapse of the arch. Bishop Callot, first bishop of Oran (1867-1875), is eager to build a more worthy than this little chapel church. But
in the wake of the disasters of 1870, he can not realize that the tower
whose foundation stone was laid February 10, 1873, and a statue of the
Virgin, a replica of the Notre-Dame de Fourvière in Lyon, is installed
on the tower December 6 the same year. The bell tower, with a weight of 1178 kg and casting workshops in Lyon Burdin is installed 4 July 18741.In
1950, opens the project site of the architect Lesaint, providing a
cloister and a small Romanesque basilica dome slightly crushed in the
presence of Archbishop Roncalli, the apostolic nuncio, and the future
Pope John XXIII. The
project, approved by the Navy, replaced by a more grandiose and
overwhelming that had been devised by the bishop of Oran Bishop Durand
in 1942. The Admiralty had formally objected to the first project that disfigured the profile of the hill.The old chapel at the foot of the tower was demolished in 1951 to start construction of the cloister, which ends in 1956. Sunday,
May 3, 1959, the Bishop of Oran Bertrand Lacaste solemnly blessed the
first stone of the basilica, it was an ancient Christian monument from
Albulae (Ain Témouchent). The "Basilica" is completed in early November of the same year, and dedicated to the worship November 8 19592.Chapel and Fort of Santa Cruz on AïdourSince
its inception, there are more than a century and a half, "Our Lady of
Hi", also called "the virgin of Oran" attracts many faithful and
curious, in gratitude for his intercession in stopping the cholera epidemic of 1849 or to request the fulfillment of their wishes. The site offers a remarkable view of the bay and the city of Oran in the east, and the harbor of Mers el-Kebir northwest.The chapel is a national monument 17 December 20083.StatuesThe statue of the Virgin that was present in the chapel is now the sanctuary of Santa Cruz in Nimes.Virgin Bronze Santa CruzAn ancient statue of the Virgin, in bronze, was put in a room on the edge of the cloister, closed by a gate to protect it. |







 |
| Add caption |
For More Information About Oran ... :D check wikipedia :p : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oran
EmoticonEmoticon